Re: Deeper Localization

Daniel Yacob wrote:

> What are the localization goals of glibc?  Is it limited to
> supporting ISO 14652 or is it only a guide?

I don't want to add anything new since not even the existing
functionality is really used.  And for good reason to most extend.

> Has consideration
> for the LDML spec been given?

No.

> Or is it limited only by the
> available time of developers?

Time and interest.  We have a format and it works.

> What I'd love to see glibc support would be non-gregorian calendar
> system and non-decimal (radix 10) numeral systems.

The C library is no kitchen sink for all the code people want.  Put this
is a separate library.

> I'm working
> with some students who could work on implementing support for
> something like LC_CALSYS and LC_NUMSYS.

And where will it end?  We cannot extend the code with all this code
which hardly anybody uses.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â