Re: i386 inline-asm string functions - some questions

On Dec 28, 2003, at 22:35, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

Zack Weinberg wrote:
I once tried to get Uli to take them out again, with
hard numbers to back me up, but he ignored me.

I have absolutely no problem taking out the inlines once gcc is able to perform the same optimizations. Problem is that nobody spent the time so far to complete the task in gcc. As far as I know each function we still have has an advantage over the gcc code.

Just look at the inlines to determine what is optimized, do it in gcc,
and let me know.  Then I'll remove the inline.

We already do more when it comes to removing sqrt and other math functions and also
some string functions we optimize without the need for the string instructions.
In fact GCC does more optimizations on string functions than glibc does already.

The functions that GCC does not optimize that glibc does are the following:
memrchr
strncat (we do sometimes)
strncmp
strchr (with a FIXME in GCC)
strchrnul
strcspn
strspn
strpbrk
strstr (we do a better job for "a", but we do not do it for the general case)

The common cases of strcpy, memcpy, etc. we do optimize greatly and as the math
library we do too.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski