Re: New threaded application: develop against NPTL?

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
I'm about to start building a new application that will use threading quite a bit (although not "heavily"), with long-lived threads watching pipes, sharing linked-list and tree data structures between themselves, etc.

Given that I'm already happily running 2.6.0-test4 and glibc-cvs, should I just start developing against NPTL?

It depends. It could be that LinuxThreads will work just fine for you. I never had to work around any bugs in it when I was using it.

That said, NPTL is good stuff.  If you do end up requiring NTPL,
you might want to make sure your
app works both with your modern kernel and glibc, and also with
Red Hat 9, which uses an older NPTL.  That ought to keep enough
users happy.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel