Re: Problems in new compat NSS module?

On Fri, Aug 29, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> There are a few bugs reported against the NSS compat module in Debian.
>
> Check out
> <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=204711> and

The first person has the problems, too, if NIS is disabled and
if he does not use the compat module. This cannot have anything
to do with my compat changes. This must be something different.

I think he didn't reboot after updating glibc. This will break
most running services, which uses NSS, like sshd, after such an
glibc version update. This also match the fact, that the same
problems happens with nss_mysql, which was not changed.

The next person in this report has problems with static binaries.
With glibc, static binaries using NSS only works, if the installed
glibc is the same as used for static linking. Here this is not
the case, so the seg.fault of the static binaries is to be
expected.

There is only one hint which could explain the problem of one
of the reporter: It seems, getspnam is broken.
But this cannot be the reason for the other problems reported
in this bug.

> <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=206294>.

His comment about the perl script output doesn't make sense.
He must have reconfigured NIS: The old output can only happen,
if he does not use shadow over NIS. But with the new configuration,
this could be the above getspnam/compat Bug.

> Could it be related to your compat changes?

Only the compat/shadow problem. All the other problems (nss_mysql,
nss_nis, nss_files) cannot have anything to do with this.
nss_compat is was not in use and nss_nis was not changed. This are
different problems.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrnstr. 15-19        D-90429 Nuernberg