Building arm toolchain with soft floating point (was: Re: non locallabels in some handcoded assembly)

robert wrote:
I managed to build a cross compilation a while abck with as described in

http://www.muth.org/Robert/Patch/

The problem with this toolchain, that glibc contained assembly code
for a totally obsolete arm fp coprocessor.
My recent efforts are to get rid of this code and have the floating point stuff all in software.

Hmm. Looking at how you built the bootstrap gcc:

  ./configure --prefix=$cwd/../usr --target=arm-linux --program-prefix=arm- \
  --disable-threads -with-cpu=strongarm110 -enable-languages=c --disable-shared --without-fpu
  make
  make CFLAGS+=-msoft-float

That looks a bit fishy. Why the initial make folowed by a make CFLAGS+=-msoft-float?

Comparing with what a couple other folks have done,
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-03/msg00452.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2002-02/msg00128.html
makes me wonder if you shouldn't be adding the --with-softfloat-support=internal
option when you build gcc.  (I wouldn't know; I'm just a google junkie.)

This may be getting a bit offtopic for the libc-alpha list...
maybe we should move this thread to the gcc or crossgcc list?

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com