Re: Updated/new locales for sr_CS (Serbia and Montenegro)

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

ISO 14651 and the Unicode Collation Algoritm are syncronized, it is
actually Ken Whistler from Unicode that is in charge of producing both tables.

Ok, good to hear that.

I have some tools for producing sorting tables, but I am not sure they are relevant.

The thing is that ISO 14651 is mostly correct for Serbian language, and I would just need to insert a couple of rules that I cannot accomplish with "reorder-*" (see below).

Anyway, I would recommend that you use the "replace-after" mechanism
to record a delta from 14651 or what else you use as the master table.

According to the ISO 14652 you pointed me to, it is not allowed to use "collating-element" if I use "copy" keyword in LC_COLLATE definition (section 4.3.2 titled '"copy" keyword'). Actually, the localedef that comes with glibc on my system (2.2.3, I believe) considered that an error, and therefore, previous sr_YU collation rules didn't compile.

Is newer localedef any different?

14651 is quite arbitrary in many cases for both Latin and Cyrillic
script, and would not normally be so useful for many European
languages, without a lot of changes. ISO 12199 may be a better start point.

I will look into it. Thanks for the pointer (so many standards ;-).

Actually, there are only small changes to be made to ISO 14651 table, but I am considering creating tables in such a way so that just by changing significance of one parameter one can get other interesting (and practical) sort order variations for the Serbian language (like latin "a" and cyrillic "a" or cyrillic-dzhe and latin d+z-caron being considered the same, which is sane in some applications like ordering of results returned by a search on database of book titles).

Cheers, Danilo