Re: _G_config.h is not installed

Dan,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:28:34AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> When I was debugging my gcc/glibc cross build script
> (http://kegel.com/crosstool), I found that glibc-2.2.5 thought it was
> doing a native compile if it could run the target executables on the
> build host.  Maybe 2.2.4 is similar?

I'll try it. The problem is that the effect is non-deterministic.
Sometimes it just works, then without obvious reasons it does not work
any more. It seems to turn out that on Debian stable it works more often
than on unstable; I've downgraded my Really Nice Compiler Machine (TM)
to Woody and the tests are running again now. [Sidenote: it does not,
but I'm not sure how good the downgrade mechanism has worked]

> Have you tried my build script?  It does a few other tricks to get an
> x86->x86 crosstoolchain to build and test properly, and you shouldn't
> need to edit it at all, just create a patch directory for glibc-2.2.4
> and put that patch in it.

We have already thought about adding it (or at least the patch system)
into PTXdist; for the moment I'll first focus on getting a release out
that works for other people as well so that things can be verified by
others.

When I started with the toolchain stuff in the beginning I had a shell
script as well but it turned out that the complex dependencies between
the various packets can be better solved with Makefiles. So I started
looking around for what other people have done. Most projects (Emdebsys:
cml2 problems all over the place; Gentoo: database not separable from
the target system; RPM, Debian: dito; uCLinux: archives bundled with the
framework, too large for initial download) didn't work fine for an
Embedded System scenario (no space on the target for databases, highly
configurable, very small packet size for initial download), so I ended
up with Erik's buildroot.  As he didn't want to have patches for a
kconfig frontend I basically copied his framework (also to make it
easier to steal packets later), added the kconfig stuff and things
started evolving.

I don't know if you already had a look at the framework, probably it's
better to wait until I've made the next release. It also might be an
idea to look at which "direction" of porting might be better - PTXdist
just using crosstools or porting it over. I somehow hope that you like
the concept and port your script into the framework ;)

However, at the moment the _G_config.h bug drives me crazy and prevents
me from releasing :-(

Cheers,
Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4