static binaries vs. NSS

I think the possibility to deploy statically linked binaries that do not
depend on the libc of the target system is very valuable.

The fact that this is currently not possible due to the NSS
implementation makes me wonder why this design was chosen.  I could
instead imagine say a name service daemon that would be queried for name
lookup.  This would nicely decouple the libc versions of the binary and
the target system.

Of course the protocol would need to be designed in such a way that it
is very stable -- but this seems achievable if some extension mechanism
is built into it.

I hope I am making some sense but I am getting tired of static binaries
crashing left and right.

--
Markus