Re: PATCH: Fix __WORDSIZE for ia64.

> I am inclined to agree with this conclusion (the same one made on other
> 64/32 platforms).  But it's not a change you just slip in without
comment,
> discussion with users and system maintainers, and approval from the
> architecture's canonical maintainer.

I can provide a little insight here, as we hit the same issue when
AIX went towards 64bit. There are a surprising (at least to us at the
time)
number of tools and applications that read utmp/wtmp. Some of them were
user apps that really had no overriding reason, but all the same we took
some
dings during the change. Not that the change can be avoided, but it is
probably
a Good Thing to advertise this about a bit before doing it.

bmark@us.ibm.com