Re: update charset aliases

[Bruno Haible]
> We need them for interoperability. IANA is commonly accepted as a
> source for charset names. Charset names that work on other systems
> *and* are backed by a standard shouldn't fail with glibc iconv.

I agree that these should work with glibc iconv.  My complaint isn't
so much with the patch itself, as it is with the process making the
patch necessary.

It seem to me that IANA do not have very strict requirements for
accepting charset aliases.  Would IANA accept IsO^8859?15 as well.
Why not?  What if I claimed to have an operating system or email
client using this name as an alias for ISO-8859-15?

> The point of standards is that once a thing is standardized,
> everyone accepts it. If you want to discuss the next future
> additions to the IANA list, you can subscribe to the ietf-charsets
> at iana.org mailing list.

Thanks for the offer.  When I get some spare time to spend on charset
standardization, I'll join the list. :)