Re: Updating/adding locale for Ethiopia and Eritrea in GNU libc.

> If I understand the glibc maintainers correctly,

can a maintainer confirm this assertion please?

> the sorting order using the current test framework.  If you just just
> pick one of the locales, and include the content of collate_et and
> translit_et in it, the locale can be copied into the other locales
> just like collate_et and translit_et.

I take it that copying one locale into another has no unwanted side
effect?  My only real concern here is that one locale then depends on
another, that sounds a little scary.  I believe most of the Linux
distributions that I've encountered provide only a subset of the locales
available from glibc.  Extras may get installed only as part of an optional
language pack.  So unless a distributor is very intimately aware of these
(not so intuitve) dependencies it increases the odds of breaking, say
an Amharic, configuration because Tigrigna was not provided.

This is a gut reaction, its not so much a glibc problem as it is a practical
hazard for repackagers.  Are there cases already where one locale imports
another?

thanks,

/Daniel