Re: Problem with p_align and AT_PAGESZ check

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 09:21:14AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> H. J. Lu wrote:
> > On i386, it should be
> >
> > 	if (p_align != 0x1000
> > 	    || ((GL(dl_pagesize) & (p_align - 1)) != 0)
> > 	    error
> >
> > or
> > 	if (p_align != 0x1000)
> > 	    error
>
> No.  The file can specify higher alignment requirements, there is no
> problem with that as long as the p_align is a multiple of the pagesize.
>
> Whether we should fail if the actual alignment is not a multiple of the
> pagesize can be discussed.  I probably would agree that it should be
> fatal since the extra work necessary and the subtle changes in the
> semantics make supporting this undesirable.

We want to try 16KB page size on existing i386 binaries if hardware
supports it. But ld.so won't load them. The main problem I can think of
is mmap and mprotect. I can it can be dealt with.

Maybe it is the time to increase MAXPAGESIZE for ELF/i386. Any
objections to change it to 16KB or 64KB? We still have COMMONPAGESIZE
set to 4KB. We shouldn't waste much memory.

H.J.