Re: glibc-2.3.2 nonportable .section declaration for empty sections

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:19:27AM -0400, Ralph Siemsen wrote:
> There is a problem building glibc-2.3.2 on platforms such as arm which
> use the @ symbol as a comment character.  According to the info pages
> for gas, in such cases the @ symbol is to be replaced with %.  However,
> glibc fails to do so in include/libc-symbols.h:
>
> #  define libc_freeres_ptr(decl) \
>   __make_section_unallocated ("__libc_freeres_ptrs, \"aw\", @nobits") \
>
> This leads to bad .section directives being generated all over the
> glibc tree, and the assembler subsequently complains:
>
> /tmp/ccHfHquJ.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccHfHquJ.s:10: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
> character is `,'
> /tmp/ccHfHquJ.s:12: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
> character is `,'
>
> This problem is present in CVS HEAD as well.  Changing the @nobits to
> %nobits solves the problem, although I suspect this would break the
> built on other architectures.

Probably it wouldn't; gas always accepts %.

Alternatively, I believe ASM_TYPE_DIRECTIVE_PREFIX (when defined) is
also a valid prefix for nobits.  I've been using a patch to that
effect.  Sorry, I'm a little behind on pushing all my glibc patches
out; swamped...

FYI there are at least a few other ARM problems in glibc 2.3.2.  I
don't know if they were fixed before or after your snapshot.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz