ldconfig problem

Hello people. Hope you're enjoying the weekend?

I put together a simple linux chroot environment with glibc2.3.1 in a directory bs

from outside, if I do ldconfig -v -r bs, I get the expected stuff happening, and bs/etc/ld.so.conf is 6k or so. ldconfig -p shows lots of expected stuff.

After chrooting into the environment and typing ldconfig -v, it runs fine, but displays only
/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/gcc...whatever

and ld.so.cache ends up at about 64*bytes* long. ldconfig -p shows nothing.

Am I missing something, or being really stupid? I've done the obligatory google but come up empty-handed

Outside environment is glibc/ldconfig 2.2.5
Inside chroot is glibc/ldconfig 2.3.1
Everything inside the environment works fine, even with tiny ld.so.cache

Pointers apprieciated ;)

Andrew Walrond