Re: Statically linked binary way way too big

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
I needed to statically link an application.
I ended up with a.out of 406400 bytes after strip.

Based on release announcements ("we don't want
to hear about size") and discussions with Linus
seen in archive I know that glibc does not try
to minimize library size, but nearly half a megabyte
can never be right.

Is there some problems with linker? Does it discard
all unused sections?

You might have a look at uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/).
We care about size of applications and the libraries. You
might have better luck with it.

-Steve