Re: es_AR locale patch

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 05:40:16AM -0700, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:20:08PM +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > The problem this tries to remedy is, whether to use the "." as
> > the thousands separator or not, in normal numbers. And I think
> > that is a question of convenience. In money amounts I think it
> > is more clear that it is convenient to use thousand separators,
> > but in normal numbers I think it is very customary just to leave out
> > the thousands separator.
>
> I'm confused, are you talking in general or in the es_AR locale?  I
> agree that in general most people leave out thousands separators.
> However, this lets us define what to do when formatting is requested.

I am talking about the es_AR locale, what to advise them.

> > My recommendation would be to keep the old dot-less notation for the
> > regular numbers, but it should of cause be up to the Argentines.
>
> This patch is in response to a bug posted for Debian's glibc
> (#108373).  We've had this patch in our private repository for 13
> months now, so it's well tested. =) My current quest is to get as many
> of our private patches into upstream as possible, especially locale
> fixes.  We've got some de_CH changes, and an Esperanto locale that I'm
> trying to validate next.

I see. Without ever being to Argentina, I think both solutions
are valid, and there is a question on stability of locales.
It is not good if you change the behaviour of the locale
and then change it back when some other bug report to the contrary
comes in, as we once had for the Swiss-german locale. Then maybe some
general policy on locale values should be in place.
Anyway it seems like there were more people supporting
this change including people from Argentina itself.

Kind regards
Keld