Re: getaddrinfo() and PF_LOCAL

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:43:00PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Stig Venaas <venaas@nvg.ntnu.no> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I see that PF_LOCAL support has been removed from getaddrinfo()
> > due to security problems. Could anyone tell me what problems they
> > see? The only thing I can think of is the unlinking, but that's
> > a problem the application must face anyway with domain sockets.
>
> Check the thread started at:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2001-05/msg00044.html
>
> And feel free to send your comments after reading it,

Ah I should have thought of that (: I see Thorsten suggests removing
it completely like BSD, but there might be consensus to add it in
NetBSD now. KAME had it but removed it due to side effects for other
programs. This security issue is an example of these side effects.

I would vote for Thorsten's 2nd alternative (not allowing PF_LOCAL
when PF_UNSPEC set).

Maybe we should wait and see what happens in the BSD camp, my first
priority is portability.

Stig