getaddrinfo() and PF_LOCAL

Hi

I see that PF_LOCAL support has been removed from getaddrinfo()
due to security problems. Could anyone tell me what problems they
see? The only thing I can think of is the unlinking, but that's
a problem the application must face anyway with domain sockets.

We're discussing enabling this on tech-net@netbsd.org, and it
would be good to know your thoughts. Our conclusion so far, is
that it could be good when getaddrinfo() is called with ai_family
== PF_LOCAL but not otherwise.

The latest Open Group base spec draft says the way I read it, that
all families supported on the platform should be attempted used in
the AF_UNSPEC case. I suspect some of you know if this is the
intention. Have you thought about doing it? There's some doubt on
how well that will work in practice.

This is perhaps not the best place to discuss this?

Stig