Re: fde-glibc.c bug

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:23:02PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> HJ writes:
> > gcc 3.0.1 cannot be used ASIS for glibc. I have been working on that.
> > It looks changes to both gcc and glibc may be required. I can provide
> > patches once we find a solution which is acceptable to everyone. It
> > is not a trivial thing. To make it even more frustrating, most gcc
> > developers don't realize there are several serious issuses with the
> > currrent gcc 3.0.1.
>
> I, for one, know and accept that there are issues.  It will make it
> easier, though, if we can track any issues to make sure that they are
> solved, e.g. with GNATS.  It's harder to argue when we have specific tests
> that can be shown to fail.  For each individual issue, we should have
> something in GNATS about it if at all possible.

If there are such testcases, those problems won't have happened. Those
are very complicated issues. You have to really known glibc and gcc
well to understand them. See

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-07/msg00233.html

It is even a simple one.

> For good reasons, developers are reluctant to accept patches unless it
> can be shown what specific problems are solved.
>
> Please don't get frustrated if people don't like the first patches you
> propose.  These things can be worked out.

I am not frustrated because people don't like my patches. I am
frustrated because people assume they are experts on glibc and Linux
systems since they are experts on gcc.

H.J.