Re: GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 11:04:58AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul  1, 2001, "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:
>
> > If I told you putting libgcc_s.so in /usr/local/lib didn't work too
> > well or might override the one in /lib when there is libgcc_s.so in
> > /lib, would you believe me?
>
> I can see how this could be the case: if the user added /usr/local/lib
> to /etc/ld.so.conf or to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  But then, it's the user's
> choice, isn't it?  It's not like GCC gets out of its way to make sure
> it breaks the user's system.  In fact, it doesn't even get programs
> created with it to search for its own libgcc_s.so: it defers the
> decision to the user.  Whether this is a problem, I don't know.  I
> dislike having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or having to mess with
> /etc/ld.so.conf to get programs to work, but there are people who
> think this is the right thing to do, and I value their arguments.  I'm
> afraid there's no perfect solution.

Many third party packages besides gcc use /usr/local/lib. It is not that
unsual to have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH even
if gcc 3.0 is not installed. Put it another way, /usr/local/lib is not
semi-exclusive for gcc. Because of it, I don't believe putting another
copy of the system shared library in /usr/local/lib will work for every
Linux user.

Please remember my patch only installs the gcc's version of libgcc.so.1
to $(libsubdir) when there is a system libgcc.so.1. In that case, you
don't need to do anything to LD_LIBRARY_PATH nor /etc/ld.so.conf for the
system dynamic linket to get a libgcc.so.1, which happens to come from
the system vendor. That is the whole idea of my patch.

H.J.