Re: GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 01:22:09AM +0200, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> >
> > At risk to appear *very* naive: did you ever seriously try to discuss those
> > matters with Mark Mitchell himself (the current release manager, that is)??
>
> I have said all I have to say. I don't think I have conviced any gcc
> developers. At least, it is my impression. I don't have anything more
> to add.

Ok, then let me try to summarize what you've said, and wanted to achieve.

1. You want libgcc_s be installed in /lib. This is possible through
   --with-slibdir=/lib.

2. You are concerned that the API of libgcc_s will change in
   backwards-incompatible ways. Different GCC developers have promised
   that this will not happen.

3. You want a documented libgcc_s API. I doubt any GCC contributor
   would disagree that this is desirable; it's just that no volunteer
   has stepped forward to provide this documentation.

4. You are concerned that multiple installations of libgcc_s on a
   single system must be avoided at all consts. While many have heard
   you, it seems that nobody really agrees; for all the examples
   you've given, an easy diagnosis of the problem will be given by the
   dynamic linker, and an easy solution is available (setting
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH in some cases, removing the extra libgcc_s in
   others).

5. You want that libgcc_s is not used on Linux; instead, you want to
   provide its interface through glibc. At the moment, it appears that
   all this would achieve is to delay gcc releases much longer, and to
   lockstep glibc and gcc releases in unacceptable ways.

6. You want that GCC authors to recognize that libgcc_s is a system
   library. Not sure what this would improve technically, but I'll
   happily recognize that.

7. You want that glibc maintainers are consulted in all libgcc_s
   matters. Given that you and Ulrich have voiced their opinion
   already, I don't see what further consultation would accomplish.

Regards,
Martin