Re: R_PPC_REL24 bugs in glibc 2.2.x

> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:55:05 +0200
> From: Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de>
> Cc: libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com

> > > It'd probably be faster to use 'objdump -R' on the shared object file
> > > to see where the R_PPC_REL24 reloc applies to.
> >
> > libfreetype.a is the culprit.
>
> Do you know why it can work with a glibc 2.1.3 system?

The glibc 2.1.3 memory map is probably different.  However, you can
always come up with a program that is sufficiently large that this
will not work.

> Adding a -fPIC to shared objects in XFree86 4.1 isnt that easy, it seems
> that the loader needs support for -fPIC compiled objects.

It should always work to just compile all code PIC.  The system linker
and loader can deal with this.  If XFree86 uses its own loader, it
would be better if it didn't :-).

> The libfreetype.a is used to link libXft.so.1 and also to load during
> the Xsession.
>
> A lot of apps are linked against libXft.so.1 and I wonder why only kmail
> doesnt work.

kmail is probably the only application big enough that the 24-bit
relocation overflows.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>