Re: Problems with message catalogues on Red Hat Linux 7 on Alpha

John Wood writes:

> My first problem was that I cannot find a mkcatdefs command on Linux.

The Tru64 manual page of mkcatdefs tells you that "symbolic references
are a proprietary extension to the XSH standard and might not be
supported on all systems conforming to this standard.". Thus you
cannot expect to have the same extensions on Linux. Actually, you have
a better alternative: gettext.

> But when I run a program which calls catopen() & catgets() to get a message
> from the catalogue, I am getting odd results.  For some messages it works
> fine; for others I get back a string of blank spaces of the wrong size.

Please send a full bug report, i.e. the input you passed to 'gencat',
a small C program which calls catopen() and catgets(), and this
program's output.

Bruno