Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com> writes:

> The problem is that / and /usr are on different partitions (yes, I know this
> is a silly setup with todays HD sizes, but a lot of systems out there are
> configured this way)

It's not silly.  There are very good reasons for such a setup and it's
entirely gcc fault.  I've pointed this out over and over again in the
last years, trying to fight this shared libgcc.  But of course nobody
listens.

Installing libgcc in / means that

a) there will only be one libgcc.so which means you'll never be able
   to update your gcc in fear of installing a libgcc with incompatible
   interface

or

b) you'll have to duplicate the lib-gcc hierachy in / (or /lib).

The best solution is to override the decision and not compile libgcc
as a DSO.