Re: getdents64 problem

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> If you are speaking NFSv3 and the SGI server is passing
> 0, 0xffffffff over the network instead of 0xffffffff, 0xffffffff, then it
> would be a bug in SGI server (but you could still try to force NFSv2).

Why?  If the length is 4GB-1 0, 0xffffffff must be transported.  But
this is exactly the argument why getdents cannot succeed.  Since the
offset will be reported to the user level as a signed value and
functions like seek will use it is wrong to succeed.  The non-LFS
functions cannot succeed for files over 2GB.

> I don't think it would be necessary to use only LFS compiled programs
> (especially for NFSv2 which does not support more than 2GB anywhere).

Definitely.  And at least all the people involved in the kernel
decisions were aware of this.  Every single program will have to be
reviewed to see whether a non-LFS function is used.  Or simply write a
scripts which runs `nm' on the programs to find out and report the
cases.