Re: A patch for gconv

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 11:59:05AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com> writes:
>
> > Can you give me one good reason why "make check" should even bother
> > with /usr/lib/gconv, given that /usr/lib/gconv contains files specific
> > to the previous version of glibc and "make check" checks the glibc
> > being built?
>
> There is no reason and it never happens if the tests are correct.  But
> this does not mean you have to add an envvar to disable this.  If any
> test is using anything not build before something is wrong, either in
> the test or in the code.  Your patch once again would only cover a
> problem.

I am not an expert on iconv. But from what I read in iconv, when you
do "make check" in iconvdata, iconv will read the default gconv config
file /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules in addition to the one in GCONV_PATH.
In gen_steps (), it will load each match including the one in
/usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules. I tried to build glibc 2.2 on ia32 with
RedHat 6.2. "make check" failed also in iconvdata. The failure is
even worse than ia64 since run-iconv-test.sh dumped core after loading
in /usr/lib/gconv/ISO646.so from RedHat 6.2.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)