Re: EUC-KR and WON SIGN

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
   Date: 07 Nov 2000 12:42:34 -0800

   > It was brought into my attention that recent snapshots of glibc has \0x5c
   > in EUC-KR mapped to U20A9 instead of U005C.

   This was done on request of some Korean people.  Now you are telling
   me again the opposite is what you expect.

   I'm sick of this.  Either you all get to the same conclusion or it
   will stay as it is.

You will never get complete consensus on this issue, as it is a
contentious one.  The best you can expect is a majority opinion.

As I wrote earlier, the majority opinion is to treat 0x5c as a
backslash in EUC-JP.  I think EUC-KR is similar, though I haven't
surveyed implementations there.  I don't know why glibc recently
changed away from the majority opinion for the EUC encodings.