Re: glibc 2.1.92 patch for S/390.

Uli> Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
>> Uli, how shall we handle this?  Can you look over it and tell me
>> whether it's ok and who of us shall put it under CVS?

Uli> You can add the code after appropriate reformatting.  But I really
Uli> would like IBM to think one or two more times about the compatibility
Uli> garbage.

From a glibc point it would be really clean to say - like we do for
ia64 - that glibc 2.2 is the first supported version and no
compatibility with older releases is needed.

Changing the sonames of dynamic linker and all libraries to achieve
this, would cause lots of trouble for Linux/S390.  They would also
need to bump the version numbers of shared libraries - or put all
their shared libraries like libncurses, libX11* into a separate
directory like we did with libc5.  This would cause some headache to
people since folks are already using Linux/S390 and companies are
developing with glibc 2.1.3 libraries.

It doesn't cost us as glibc developers much to support the
compatibility, the backward compatible stuff is already there and the
changes that I haven't checked in are for Versions, shlib-versions and
some stuff where they use the i386 versions.

S390 will carry the compatibility with it - but that's their problem
if they like to go this way.

Martin, can you send a patch with all the stuff that's missing?  This
way we can see what we're discussing about.

Thanks,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger