Re: glibc 2.1.92 patch for S/390.

schwidefsky@de.ibm.com writes:

> I finally have the new glibc working on S/390. To make old binaries work,
> I had to copy a lot of these lovely compatibility files from i386.

There was no glibc before 2.2 and supporting hacked up versions is IMO
plain stupid.  This compatibility code has to be carried around for
the rest of the lifetime of the ABI.

Make a fresh start like all the other new ABI.

> I discussed the Versions issue with some of my collegues here in the lab
> and we came to the conclusion that we want to have ONE libc for all of the
> binaries - old and new ones.

This is IBM tradition but it certainly does not mean it's good.

For the rest, follow Andreas' recommendations.