Re: Problems with exception handling in glibc and gcc.

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:58:57AM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:41:38 -0700
> > From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
>
> > I'd like to get it fixed. Should I investigaten it? I think we
> > should not export the default version, only the old one for binary
> > compatibility. We then make sure the main binary always export them
> > if they are used.
>
> This causes problems with new shared libraries (like new versions of
> glibc) and old applications.  Don't do it.
>

> Anyway, I believe that any problems you're seeing are most likely
> caused by the new dwarf opcode, DW_CFA_def_cfa_expression, being used
> by mistake on an existing target (like x86).  You could place a
> breakpoint in this chunk of code in dwarf2out.c:

That won't be easy since it only happens with libstdc++-v3. I don't
know which .o file is miscompiled, nor I have the time to track it
down.

However, since frame_state is changed, I am not sure if the old frame.o
from the previous libgcc.a linked into the shared glibc will work
with the _eh.o from the new libgcc.a. The exception ABI has changed
due to frame_state, but I don't see anything for backward compatility.
We should have learned the lesson when last time we did it in Dec.
1997. We had a lengthy discussion then. I am not sure if any messages
are saved. Only things I can find are the ChangeLog entries in
FSFChangeLog.11. You can do a grep for __register_frame.

H.J.