Re: glibc-2.1.3, asm/elf.h and PPC kernels with AltiVec support

   Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:04:38 -0800
   From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>

   > From: Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com>
   > Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:19:51 +0100
   > Cc: Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>

   > >I think the correct fix would be a separate sys/elf.h for PPC, like what
   > >x86 and arm already do.

   I think this is OK in principle.  We're trying to move away from using
   kernel header files.

But I'm not sure whether adding a seperate sys/elf.h for PPC is a good
idea.  Why not add the necessary types directly to sys/procfs.h?  IMHO
adding sys/elf.h for i386 was a mistake.  Simply copying the mistakes
that were made for i386 to PPC doesn't seem very productive to me.

The reason for the existence of sys/procfs.h is for the definitions
for the layout of the special sections in ELF core-dumps.  The kernel
uses names prefixed with elf_, but the kernel headers make them also
available under the traditional SVR4 names.  In principle only these
(thus without the elf_ prefix) are needed by GDB so one might choose
to export these only.

There is one caveat though.  The register sets used in core-dumps
might differ from those used in signal contexts/user contexts.  This
happens on Solaris and Linux/i386.  That's why prgregset_t and
prfpregset_t exist.  On PPC the register sets seem to be identical so
the `typedef gregset_t prgregset_t' in sys/procfs.h is probably right.

   > >If there are no objections, I'll put together such a file and post it later
   > >today with the corresponding changes to other files.

   This seems to be missing a lot of stuff.  In particular, the
   ELF_EXEC_PAGESIZE and ELF_CORE_COPY_REGS macros.

Are these really meant to be used in userspace?  GDB doens't use
them.  I doubt that they're really needed.

Mark