Re: FTP site for crypt code

> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:33:29 +0100 (MET)
> From: Torsten Duwe <duwe@ns.lst.de>
> Cc: GNU libc testers <libc-alpha@cygnus.com>,
>         VGER gcc list <linux-gcc@vger.rutgers.edu>
>

>     Ulrich> Hi, I'm ready to release glibc 2.1 for now three days but can't
>     Ulrich> do this because we don't have the crypt add-on in place.
> [...]
>     Ulrich> So, if you have a non-US FTP server large enough to handle a few
> [...]
>
> What is your problem ? Does glibc-crypt contain more than DES ? In case you
> missed it -- US export restrictions have been loosened last fall, up to 56
> bit encryptions are free to go, unless the downloader sits in Cuba, the Iraq,
> Iran, Libya or the like.

You need to re-read the actual regulations.

Let's see.  You probably mean the December changes, not the September
ones which only applied to financial institutions (the December
changes were announced in September).  In that case, the clause you're
looking for is CFR 740.17 (a) (3) (ii):

(ii) Eligible commodities and software. (A) Mass market and non-
mass market encryption commodities and non-mass market software having
symmetric algorithms with key lengths up to and including 56-bits, such
as DES or equivalent (such as RC2, RC4, RC5, and CAST) which are
classified as a result of a technical review (see paragraph (c) of this
section). The commodity or software must not allow the alteration of
the cryptographic functionality by the user or any other program.
Encryption chips, integrated circuits, toolkits and executable or
linkable modules are not authorized for export under the provisions of
paragraph (a)(3).

Since the GNU C library is, by definition, a toolkit and/or a linkable
module, and it most certainly allows the user to alter its
functionality, it would not be permitted to be exported under this
licence exemption.

--
Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>