What needs to be recompiled when upgrading to 2.1?

Hi,

since the question already occured sometimes and I'm a wee bit
confused myself, I'd like to raise - and later document it clearly in
the FAQ - the following question:

When upgrading from glibc 2.0 to 2.1 what needs to be recompiled in
what situation?

1) If I just upgrade the glibc from 2.0 to 2.1, binaries linked
   against 2.0 will continue to work. [Ok, if they are not broken
   because they use internal interfaces of glibc]

2) If I compile my own binaries against glibc 2.1, all the other
   libraries I use must be linked against glibc 2.1, too.
   a) Is this really correct?
   b) Can I recompile all libraries and will my old binaries continue
      to work, or should these libraries have a different major/minor
      number?

3) What's the issue with glibc-compat-2.0.10*?  In what situations is
   it needed?

Thanks for helping me to clarify this,
Andreas
--