Re: Linux vs. libio

Per Bothner (another SC member) writes:

> I do object, or rather:  we should be very careful.  I think checking
> in changes for code that we do not "own" can very easily lead to
> divergence.

It's not as much of a difference as it might appear, since I'd want
things re-sync'd before releases, and I expect everyone with blanket
write privileges to "be very careful".

> In a pinch we can put in a temporary kludge, but only if it is
> clearly marked as such.

This may be an example of such a pinch.  The new ABI has to be tested.
Requiring all testers to rebuild their glibc means that there will be
a lot less testing, meaning a lower-quality release.