Re: [Michael Deutschmann <michael@talamasca.wkpowerlink.com>] libc/1424: llseek symbol is attractive nuisance

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 02:38:31PM -0800, Michael Deutschmann wrote:

> But an llseek() prototype *never* appears, even if _GNU_SOURCE is defined.
> And this llseek symbol means that autoconf's usual test will show the
> library as having "llseek" functionality, which it doesn't really.
>
> Remember that the missing prototype causes a calling-convention screwup,
> which makes llseek() dangerous.  Think about what can happen when to an
> fsck program if the seek function cannot be trusted... it did, I'm told.
> T'so now maintains that you guys are ivory-tower lunatics over it.

The llseek() think is really painful.  It was the cause of numerous
filesystems showing signs of aging too early ...  I was the person to
say the least and probably quite a number of other people's filesystems
had already been ruined before I tracked this one down.  I think a fix
and even if it's something as painfull as just removing llseek() completly
and thus breaking compatibility will all in all be less harmful.

  Ralf