Re: Help: Unwinding the C++ stack...throw, longjmp & threads

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 09:10:10AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> "George T. Talbot" <george@moberg.com> writes:
>
> > I don't know.  Mr. Drepper, can you tell us what was measured?  Was this
> > with the new exception model or the old setjmp()/longjmp() exception
> > model?
>
> I don't remember.  One of the things which was measured for sure is
> code/data size and this went up.

One thing which is IMHO wrong is that gcc above egcs-1.1.2 emits .eh_frame
if one compiles c with -g -fno-exception.
glibc makes great distinction between routines where exceptions can be
thrown through and other routines, but if one compiles glibc with -g, it
will not make any difference. If I strip it down later, the .eh_frame
section will obviously stay in including its .rela.eh_frame which will be
relocated during glibc relocation.
Is it possible to emit the frame info into .dwarf_frame if exceptions are
not enabled instead of .eh_frame, so that the section will be loaded only
when debugging, can be stripped off and does not have to be relocated in the
common case?
So far gdb does not use it anyway (I was told it should do that in the
future though).

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.3.13 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)