Re: [Various] libc/1161: Unable to get nscd to work on alpha

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 12, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Is there anything we can do to fix nscd on alpha?  I fear this is a
> compiler bug:-(.  Richard, can you help?

It's an older bug which I have already send twice to the egcs people
without getting an reaction.

egcs miscompiles the following lines from nscd/cache.c:

  /* Put the new entry in the first position.  */
  do
    newp->next = table->array[hash];
  while (! compare_and_swap ((volatile long int *) &table->array[hash],

This lines alone works, so there happens something other. I couldn't
identify the other pieces of code where it crashes yet. This is not
the only one.

  Thorsten

> [...]

> Cc: bugs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: libc/1161: Unable to get nscd to work
> Date: 12 Jun 1999 21:03:14 +0200
>
>  >>>>> sba  writes:
>
>  >> Number:         1161
>  >> Category:       libc
>  >> Synopsis:       Unable to get nscd to work
>
>  Which Linux kernel version are you running?

>  sba> After attempting to compile glibc-2.1.1 with several versions of egcs
>  sba> (1.1.2 and later), I have been unable to get a version of nscd that works.
>  egcs has AFAIK some bugs on alpha and so far nobody looked into fixing
>  them :-(
>
>  sba> Either I attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 with -O3 which fails to even compile
>  sba> with most (all?) versions of egcs between 1.1.2 and the latest 2.95 prerelease,
>  sba> or I compile with -O and get a copy of nscd that has increadibly poor
>  sba> performance:
>
>  >> If I un-tar a file like glibc-2.1.1pre3.tar.gz which has files
>  >> owned by unknown users (on my system), nscd -d goes into a loop generating:
>  Can you reproduce this in your ix86 machine?
>
>  Andreas
>  --
>   Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
>    for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: sba@srl.caltech.edu (Stuart Anderson)
> To: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>
> Subject: Re: libc/1161: Unable to get nscd to work
>
> According to Andreas Jaeger:

> > Which Linux kernel version are you running?
>
> 2.2.7

> > sba> After attempting to compile glibc-2.1.1 with several versions of egcs
> > sba> (1.1.2 and later), I have been unable to get a version of nscd that works.
> > egcs has AFAIK some bugs on alpha and so far nobody looked into fixing
> > them :-(
>
> bummer.
>

> > sba> Either I attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 with -O3 which fails to even compile
> > sba> with most (all?) versions of egcs between 1.1.2 and the latest 2.95 prerelease,
> > sba> or I compile with -O and get a copy of nscd that has increadibly poor
> > sba> performance:

> > Can you reproduce this in your ix86 machine?
>
> No, this problem does NOT exist on my ix86 machines which where running
> as identical as is possible versions of RH/kernel/libc/egcs/...
>
> A while back I received a response from Thorsten Kukuk (of Linux/NIS+ fame)
> that you had to compile glibc with -O3 to avoid some egcs bugs on the
> Alpha, but I haven't had as much luck as he has had with that. However,
> my last correspondence from him was that his nscd on an Alpha box was
> crashing as well.
>
> Both of the bug reports I put in today are the result of trying to run
> both Intel and Alpha boxes as NIS+ clients on a predominantly Sun network.
> My only remaining problem is getting a good stable nscd on both platforms.

Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg