Re: LD_PRELOAD

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Geoff Keating wrote:

> Such techniques (overriding routines in the libc) have always been
> implementation-dependent.  You will probably need to do various
> special things to make it work with glibc 2.1, if this is possible at
> all.

Nonsense.  I have an LD_PRELOAD'ed library I use every day that's source
and binary compatible between glibc 2.0 and 2.1, and source compatible
between linux and solaris.

> Have you considered implementing your functionality in the kernel
> instead?  Or building a custom version of libc with the changes you
> want to make included?

Are you crazy?!  That's an order of magnitude more work.  LD_PRELOAD is
just perfect for this purpose.

As for one of the programs mentioned in particular, dante, I hope to look
into its LD_PRELOAD problems sometime soon.

Andrew