Re: Interest in contributing to Kawa

On 03/14/2017 01:04 PM, Konrad Djimeli wrote:
My name is Konrad Djimeli a third year Computer Science Student at the
University of Buea, Cameroon. I am interested in contributing to the
Kawa project and I would like to work on the Google Summer of Code
project "Update XQuery implementation ". I am very comfortable working
with Java and XML and I have experience developing an X3D(XML base
file format) importer for BRLCAD during the Google Summer of Code
2015.

Welcome!

I have successful build and compiled the Kawa source code and have
tested the XQuery functionalities.

Please I would like to know what functionalities are priorities to the
community that need to be added. I would also appreciate any
suggestion on how to better familiarize myself with the project.

Unfortunately, I don't believe many people are using Kawa's XQuery implementation.
I don't get a lot of feedback (or bug reports) relating to XQuery.
I myself use it for the script I use to generate my photo-album web-pages,
plus it's part of Kawa's testsuite, but I don't spend much time enhancing it.
So XQuery enhancement is an ok project if someone is interested in it,
but if we have to choose between proposals (as seems likely), we're more likely
to prioritize another proposal.

If you do submit a proposal to work on Kawa-XQuery, I recommend you also
submit at least one other proposal.

Personally, I'd be more supportive if you wanted to work on one of the
GNU TexInfo-projects, which are also XML/HTML-related. However, texinfo(1)
requires facility with Perl and texinfo(2) requires facility with JavaScript.