Re: kawa build from source fails - revision 8603

On 09/21/2015 11:47 AM, David Pirotte wrote:

	david@capac:/usr/local/src/kawa/svn 26 $ java -version
	java version "1.7.0_85"
	OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.1) (7u85-2.6.1-3)

It still fails:

The above is not a version string from one of OpenJDK 8, Java SE 7, or Java SE 8.
(It is OpenJDK 7.)

Sorry, I don't understand what you're are trying to tell me, neither why neither what
to do to make it compile.

Your installed Java implementation is not supported.

Note that OpenJDK (the open-source project) is not the same as Java SE / JDK
(the bundle released by Oracle).  The latter is based on the former, but there
are some differences.  The differences are bigger for Java 7, but still there
for Java 8.  (For example OpenJDK 8 does not include JavaFX.)

The easiest fix is to grab and install Java SE 8 aka JDK 8 from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Just untar the download file somewhere convenient, and have your PATH
point to the bin directory (containing javac).

Or upgrade to OpenJDK 8 - though of course this depends on your OS:

http://openjdk.java.net/install/

My understanding is if configure pass, compile must pass,

Where did you get that from?  configure is not required or expected
to guard against every possible bad compiler or environment.

True, some configure scripts do check for known bad compilers or other
known problems, and that's a good thing to do.  Perhaps Kawa should do
that - though not many people have run into this problem, to my knowledge.

that's my experience, maybe you should improve your configure.ac file

Patches welcome.