Re: Fwd: Switching from Subversion to Git

On 08/26/2015 04:35 PM, Matthieu Vachon wrote:
Note: Re-posting on mailing-list with plain text, sorry.

Hi Per,

Sure I still volunteer to make it happen. As said earlier, I already
performed SVN conversion to git and it's hosted at
https://github.com/maoueh/kawa-fork. Could you take a look and ensure
that is correct with you. It would then be a simple matter of pushing
the SVN mirror to the new Savannah git repository.

It looks ok.  It would look different on Savannah.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git

Note that since your git clone I've created two branches
(invoke, plus callcc, which is branched off invoke).
That might change things.

It is not fully up-to-date as I had problem syncing with SVN. It
stopped with some weird errors on revision 8527. So, current `master`
branch (equivalent to `trunk`) is at revision 8526. Will try to debug
syncing problem when I find more time.

Is a manual SVN mirror enough or are you aiming more to an fully
automatic mirror? Do you want a bi-directional mirror (git push syncs
to SVN and SVN commit pushes to git) or a one way would be ok (SVN to
git only)?

It depends on the goal.  If the goal is to switch over to git as the
primary repository, then the mirroring doesn't have to be full.
In fact we don't *need* automatic mirroring at all - its just nice.

At the very list we need to git repository on Savannah.  It doesn't
have to be a mirror of the svn repository, though that would be nice.
It's acceptable for it to just be a static snapshot, or one that can
be manually brought up to date - only needed during the evaluation period.

If after the evaluation period we decide to make the switch, then we
freeze the old repository (easy as long as I'm the only committer).
Then we do a final update from the old repository, and then after
some testing we declare the new repository as the primary one.

Of course if bi-directional mirroring is easy to set up, I won't
say no :-)