Re: Path character in lists.scm

On 01/16/2015 11:21 AM, Jeff Gonis wrote:
Hi Per,

So while I was working to build kawa on windows I kept running into an
error while building talking about an illegal character when trying to
compile lists.scm in the rnrs directory.  After spending some time
looking at it, I realized that the path separator in the require
statement was using a forward slash which blows up in windows. I
replaced it with a backslash and was able to build on both my windows
machine and linux machine, and the tests passed on linux (no ant
command to run the tests on windows that I could see).  I hope that I
have generated this patch file correctly, but if not it should be easy
to track down using my description above.

Well, I'd have to re-boot into Windows to test it.  I would also need to set up
a Kawa build environment on my new laptop.  I'll try to get to this soon
- but probably not today.

(Last year I spent some time installing MinGW and getting Kawa so it would build.
I even got a good chunk of the test-cases running using 'make check'.  The
changes have been checked in - however, the documentation needs work.)

In any case, using "..\lists.scm" in the require form is not an acceptable fix.
I'm surprised it works on Linux.  I also thought '/' should work on Windows
(though of course not in command scripts).  Note that it is common for C/C+
programs to #include <foo/bar.h>, so forward slashes are the "standard" portable form.

A more robust solution might be using some sort of path separator
normalization provided by Java, but I haven't had time to dig into
that. I'll let you know if I have any success there.

My guess is that something in the handleImports method in HandleFromLibrary.java,
or something in the gnu/kawa/io/*Path.java isn't handling Windows file names
as well as it should.