Re: kawa web-site changes

On Nov 10, 2014, at 8:16 PM, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/2014 01:00 PM, Per Bothner wrote:
>> Please take another look at http://per.bothner.com/tmp/kawa/index.html
>> and compare it to http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/ .
>
> Jamison Hope pointed out problems with browsing on an iPhone - which
> I verified on our Android phones:
>
> The logic for switching to single column mode doesn't work on phone browsers
> (either Mobile Safari or Google Chrome on iPhone; Firefox or Chrome on Android).
>
> The code would check if the window with is less than 700.  The problem is that the window size
> as reported by JavaScript is 980 - bigger than the physical screen size.  The solution
> is to also check screen.window.availWidth.
>
> I updated  http://per.bothner.com/tmp/kawa/style/utils.js with this fix.
> Please try the web-site on various devices and browsers.

The updated utils.js appears to work to move the links to the top.  It also
changes the color scheme (no more colored background), is that intentional?

> An annoyance is that when you navigate to a page you have to scroll page all the links.
> I don't know a good solution for that.  An alternative might be an explicit button
> to show or hide the navigation bar.  I just discovered DocBook WebHelp, which does that:
>
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/webhelp/docs/index.html
>
> (DocBook WebHelp is conceptually similar to Kawa's web site, with an addition
> that they generate a search index, which can be used off-line.  If this project
> was available when I re-did the Kawa web site I would probably have used it.)

Perhaps have anchor tags at the start of the text, and make the incoming links
point to those rather than to the top of each html page?  Not sure whether
something like that would play nice with the way the Kawa pages get generated.

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group