Re: Switching from Subversion to Git

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:39 AM, David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:
> Hello,
> [I'am currently trying to help, working on g-wrap, guile-cairo, guile-gnome and
> guile-clutter]
>
> The link is this one:
>
>         http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Thank you for the link, this is indeed one of the reference for git
branching model. Here a tutorial I found recently made by Atlassian.
It compares four different possible git branching models with one of
them being the one you linked (referred as gitflow workflow in the
post).

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows

It also includes other information, mainly focused for people coming
from the SVN world:

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/syncing

And to migrate from SVN:

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-overview

>> > Kawa is a GNU project (though a low-profile one), and politically I
>> > want to be part of the GNU umbrella.  That is one advantage to Savannah.
>
> I strongly believe that savannah is a much much better place for gnu projects, but
> it could be a subjective opinion.  Many people complained, on guile's lists about
> github not being free... and I like savannah.

This is completely true. GitHub is "free" for public projects, just
not open sourced and GPL licensed.

This is completely personal, but I never understood complaints about
the point of the being "free" (as in open sourced). Maybe because I'm
too "young" to have lived this debate  :)

> My 2c :)

Thank you for joining the discussion.

Matt