swank-kawa: Can't find suitable coding-system

Hi,

I'm having trouble running Kawa with Emacs & SLIME using Helmut Eller's
swank-kawa.scm.

I'm using Kawa v1.14, Oracle Java SE 7u60, SLIME v2.7 from git, and
Emacs 24.3.1 on Debian Wheezy 32-bit.  I have no problem using SLIME
with other lisps, or running Kawa as an inferior-scheme using cmuscheme
mode.

I've set up my Emacs config following the instructions in swank-kawa.scm
(changing all pertinent paths).

Kawa starts up runs under an inferior-lisp buffer, but a SLIME REPL
never opens and instead Emacs says, "Can't find suitable coding system".

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
-Henry