Re: Splicing lists and vectors into argument lists

On Sat, May 10 2014, Per Bothner wrote:

>> Is there an option analog to --output-format to change the reader syntax
>> to something stable and standard?
>
> There is a  mechanism for for that.  Kawa has --r5rs --r6rs and --r7rs
[...]
> A issue is that initial '@' in a symbol is *not* allowed by R7RS or
> R6RS. ('@' is a <special subsequent> so is not allowed as an initial
> character.)

Oh boy.  They let you put Unicode chars there but no @.  Oh wait, they
actually say "it is an error for the first character to have a general
category of Nd, Mc, or Me."  But @ belongs to category Po.  And again
they use the meaningless phrase "it is an error" which of course only
means that it may or may not be allowed by an implementation.

[...]

> Thus disabling the '@' reader syntax for splice is not appropriate for
> a --r7rs flag, which is intended for areas where Kawa conflicts with a
> strict reading of R7RS, not disabling extensions.  In this case we're
> conflicting with a previous Kawa extension, not any standard.  We could
> consider a more generic flag like --compat=VERSION - i.e. --compat=kawa-1.10.
> That might promise more than we can deliver, though it can be helpful for
> occasional frustrations like this.

Don't bother.  It's easier if I use an old Kawa version directly.

Helmut