Re: Compiling multidimensional arrays

On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:38 AM, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2013 05:51 PM, Charles Turner wrote:
>> Not sure if it's
>> worth special casing 2d arrays as well, how much do people use them? I
>> often find myself simulating them on a vector anyway :/
>
> For people who do Fortran-like numerical calculations it might be
> very worthwhile to optimize 2d arrays.  But it seems far from trivial,
> and includes a bit of API design - for example an Array2 class.
> I think unless you personally care about 2d arrays and their
> performance (or your employer cares) I don't think it's high priority.

For what it's worth, I typically use the matrix classes from javax.vecmath
when I need 2d arrays (of numbers).

If I need to have 2d arrays with elements of arbitrary type, then I just
use nested vectors (quite similar to the example matrix library in TSPL).
That in combination with symbolic algebra, a la SICP chapter 2, can be
handy on occasion -- although for anything moderately complicated I would
probably use maxima instead.

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group