Re: Kawa and Google Summer of Code?

On Mar 11, 2013, at 6:43 PM, Charles Turner <chturne@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd have time, but not the expertise to offer the same mentoring
> experience as I have had personally.

If you are at all interested in being a mentor, I would encourage you
to sign up.  I'll still be around to offer general advice or help if
you get stuck on something technical, I just won't have time to be the
primary.  (I don't want to speak for Per, but I'm sure that goes for
him, too.)

Trust me, I felt extremely unsure the first time I was asked to
mentor, too. :-)

> It's public knowledge that I
> still haven't finished my checkin from last year, due to terrible
> mistakes in terms of letting the checking encroach on my university
> studies. I'm still working on that when I find time, but because of
> this, I'm not sure if I should apply again (as a student), just
> because I've taken so long to get my last project into the main tree.

The merging process may have been less than ideal, but I think you're
being too hard on yourself.  You had to choose between doing volunteer
work for an open source project and attending to your education, and I
think you made the right choice.  I understand your frustration, though.
If only I didn't have to do the work my day job requires, I'd love to
take a month or two and try my hand at one or two of the suggested
ideas..

Really, I just view the delay as evidence of how much work you did last
year, and how much refactoring had to go on for the code in trunk to be
able to accommodate it.

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group