Re: display vs write

On 03/02/12 21:58, Helmut Eller wrote:
* Per Bothner [2012-02-03 20:10] writes:
Some examples:
* A math program can display equations and graphs as the
output of an expression.
* An expression can evaluate to a "picture" which would
be displayed inline: http://per.bothner.com/blog/2007/ReplPane/
* An HTML/XML obj can be insert into the output in visual
form if the console understands HTML.  (I have a prototype
of this based on the JavaFX webnode component I'm working on
in my Day Job.)

Those don't seem particularly feasible/useful on a text terminal.

I agree. We could just default to WRITE in text mode console, and DISPLAY in graphical ones. WRITE does a lot of checking for shared structures, which most of the time isn't necessary (as well as producing some non-intuitive output on occasion). I can't think of any other reasons for not wanting it on by default. I'm very excited about the grander visions with a richer console interface though, where this decision makes a lot of sense to me.

I suppose the next printing enhancement is paged support for lazy values. I'd be happy to take that one, can't "promise" that I'll be finished before 1.12.

Charles.