Syntax to access method and field of instance

Hi there; it seems that you can use the following (very useful) syntax
to access a method or field of an instance:

(some-obj:toString) = (*:toString some-obj)
some-obj:field      = (*:.field some-obj)

I found that this was possible by looking through the source code. But
it doesn't seem to be mentioned on either of the relevant manual pages
[1] or [2]. Unless I've missed something, which is completely
possible. Is it safe to use this syntax, and maybe just a gap in the
documentation? Or is it prone to change in the future? Thanks!

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Method-operations.html
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Field-operations.html

--
Taylor C. Venable